Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Clifton Inn’

This post includes a letter written by Anne Pritchard Woodard on March 9th 1878 at age 9 from Clifton. Ann was the daughter of Martha Ann Wyatt and Theodore Hoyt Woodard. The tree is …

(Rev) Haute Wyatt (1594-1638)
John Wyatt (1663-)
Col. Richard Wyatt (1715-1785)
Capt John Wyatt (-1750)
Richard Wyatt (1763-1845)
Richard Ware Wyatt (1806-1881)
Martha Ann Harris Wyatt (1831-1898)
Ann Pritchard Woodard (1869-1961)

More letters can be found at: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e3aa8082bf4ed580&id=E3AA8082BF4ED580%21309&Bsrc=SkyMail&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&sc=Photos

This is the Clifton Inn today: http://www.cliftoninn.net/

Do not miss the history of the Clifton Inn – here are some quick quotes:

“Clifton is significant because it was built and used by Thomas Mann Randolph (Jr) (1768-1828) who served as Governor of Virginia, a member of the Virginia House of Delegates, member of the U.S. Congress and was son-in-law of Thomas Jefferson (married to Jefferson’s daughter Martha).

1830- Thomas Jefferson Randolph sold to Fontaine Wells
1835- Fontaine Wells sold to Stapleton C. Sneed
1851- Stapleton C. Sneed sold 305 acres to Richard Wyatt for $8,000
The Wyatt family cemetery is located in a small yard behind the brick office. It is likely that Colonial Richard Wyatt, owner from 1851 – 1891 is buried in this area, but little else is presently known of other graves. Wyatt named the property “Clifton” during his residence. In 1870 Ida May Wyatt, who had grown up at Clifton, married her cousin Joseph Marion Wyatt at Clifton.

During the Civil War the wife and children of Colonel John Singleton Mosby, the “Grey Ghost of the Confederacy” sought refuge at Clifton after being driven from their home near Middleburg. When Union troops were in the area, Mosby would deliver supplies to a secret hiding place outside the main house.

1891- Richard Wyatt heirs sold 305 acres called” Clifton” to J. Cummings McKennie for $3,000
Grantors reserve the family burying ground with access for purpose of burial and attention to the grave yard.”

Anne Woodard’s letters follow:

Advertisements

Read Full Post »